FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Rebecca Brewster
May 2, 2017
Arlington, VA – The American Transportation Research Institute (ATRI) Board of Directors has approved the 2017 Top Research Priorities as identified by ATRI’s Research Advisory Committee (RAC). ATRI’s RAC developed the list of recommended research topics at its meeting held in Dallas in March and the ATRI Board vetted and approved that list at its meeting last week.
- Driven to Distraction – examining the impact of technology deployment inside the truck which may either exacerbate or reduce truck driver distraction. The research will also look at the role of car driver distraction on trucking industry crash involvement.
- Cumulative Economic Impact of Trucking Regulations – examining the potential for developing a standardized methodology for conducting regulatory impact analyses (RIA) of trucking industry regulations which can then be applied across agencies and regulations to identify industry costs.
- HOS Flexibility: A Possible Solution to Bottlenecks – exploring the opportunity for addressing some of the nation’s worst congestion choke points through flexibility in the federal Hours-of-Service rules, which would allow drivers to wait out the most congested periods of the day.
- Impact of E-Commerce on Trucking – mapping potential impacts of E-Commerce to the trucking industry’s top industry issues.
- Truck Bottleneck Trends: Economic Changes or Infrastructure Improvements – conducting a deep dive into ATRI’s Annual Truck Bottleneck List to identify specific infrastructure improvements that will positively impact congestion.
- Autonomous Truck Impacts on the Truck Driver – a detailed analysis of how autonomous truck technologies will change the operational environment and driving requirements for commercial drivers.
ATRI is the trucking industry’s 501(c)(3) not-for-profit research organization. It is engaged in critical research relating to freight transportation’s essential role in maintaining a safe, secure and efficient transportation system. To learn more about ATRI, visit www.atri-online.org.
# # #